DragonPhoenix

DragonPhoenix

NOTE:

Note:

Acheron is the Greek river of pain and suffering
Elysium is the Greek version of Heaven or Paradise

Basically I wanted to symbolize the dual nature of life

Sunday 13 April 2014

Music VS Business

A couple of days ago a friend was listening to this song and really enjoying it. He told me to listen to it 'cause he thought it was pretty good. These are what the lyrics were like:

"All the things that you said was it all in my head?
Come on baby
Keep it down, honey hush your lips
Clothes trailing from the backdoor to the bedroom."

The only thing that came to my mind was 'Why would anyone call this music?'. As I have said before music is supposed to be an outlet of emotion, a catharsis. I have observed that in today's music industry all that matters is money. Artists and bands completely change their musical direction for profit.
They rely on overly sexual and cheap lyrics to create sensationalism and higher profits. Even racial slurs are used for this purpose. Whenever the average teen listens to such a song they all go "OMG did she/he just say that?!" and spread word of the song and artist to his/her friends. This is happening in almost in every genre. Artists like Lil Wayne excessively use the word 'nigga' in almost each and every one of their raps to be popular. Other artists like Katy Perry will over-sexualize their lyrics and music videos. By this point a few people will be thinking "Now after bashing on all the other genres this guy is gonna be a typical MetalHead and praise his own favourite genre". But guess what? You're wrong. Heavy metal has started becoming increasingly commercialized. The lyrics I was talking about were from a genre called MetalCore, a sub-genre of Heavy Metal. It has become the most popular genre in mainstream following. It is completely based on the concept of a boy-band. A few good looking guys will either write cheesy derivative love songs to get a female following or lyrics like the one above to capture male attention. The most famous Metal band in the world, Metallica, has sadly been a purely commercial venture for quite some time. But the worst of all these types of bands are the ones that openly declare that they are purely commercial ventures. Bands like Nickelback and Limp Bizkit have absolutely no problem in saying that all they do is for the money. They're instrumentation may be very good but there is absolutely no real emotion conveyed. There are some who might say that my opinion doesn't matter and that at the end of the day they are famous and 'talented' so I don't get to judge them. But that's the whole point. Why are such artists and bands so popular? Why are artists that have real talent shadowed by these impostors? For example let me give you an example of an undermined band who are one of the best composers and lyricists in their field:

"Through the fear and the ache
Pass the storm and the rain
I have made peace with the world
I am born again

I may be gone in the flesh
But my love will stay here
I am always with you in spirit
So just stay strong"

This is a song called Last Statement by a band called Insomnium. It's a song about love, death and mourning. In my opinion it's lyrics are beautiful. Even the composition of the song is an excellent mix of distortion, acoustics and melody. This band is barely known outside of it's home country of Finland. A comparison of these two songs would reveal what true emotion and music truly is. Concluding this post I want to say that I have added a poll and would like to request all the readers to vote and let me know which type of music they would prefer - Emotional or Commercial?

1 comment: